The ECR355E—a 35-ton, short-swing-radius excavator—is a new size class for the range. The new model uses a 241-horsepower, Volvo D8 Tier 4-F engine designed to combine high torque and low-rpm operation, while delivering an 18-percent increase in horsepower, 28-percent increase in torque, and a 10-percent increase in fuel efficiency, compared with the predecessor model, the Volvo ECR305C.
The ECR355E incorporates all of the features common to the company’s E-Series models, including the rectangular cab, which provides 10 percent more space, 44 percent more cooling capacity, enhanced front and side visibility, and a wider entrance, compared with the predecessor cab. The cab also features a radio with hands-free Bluetooth, ergonomic controls, and fewer switches (from 27 to 11). In addition to the standard rear-view camera, the ECR355E has a standard side-view camera, and soon to be available is the Volvo Smart View system, which combines four exterior-mounted cameras to create a “bird’s eye view” of the machine, displayed on an 8-inch monitor.
The ECR355E is equipped with integrated work modes, including an ECO mode, and auto-idle and auto-engine-shutdown features are aimed at reducing fuel consumption. (The machine’s fuel economy is backed by Volvo’s Fuel Efficiency Guarantee; if fuel consumption and productivity do not meet model-rated efficiency levels, Volvo reimburses a portion of the additional fuel.)
LED work lights are an option, as are a number of performance packages:
- Demolition—Selection of factory-fitted guarding options is available, including boom- and bucket-cylinder guards, heavy-duty side doors, reinforced undercovers, slew-ring protection, full track guard, and cab-mounted Falling Object Guarding packages
- Dozer blade—Dozer blade allows backfilling and can enhance stability
- Two-piece boom—Two-piece boom allows digging closer to the undercarriage and provides enhanced visibility and lifting capability in tight spaces
- Steelwrist tiltrotator—available soon will be the Steelwrist tiltrotator, which allows rotating attachments 360 degrees and tilting from side to side
Serviceability features include wide compartment doors, ground-level access to maintenance points (including pump pressure taps, filters, and cooling package), grouped greasing manifolds, and anti-slip plates. The reversible cooling fan adjusts automatically to cooling demands, reducing fuel consumption and sound.
Service and support programs for the new model include the Volvo Lifetime Frame and Structure Warranty, which covers the frame, boom, and arm for the entirety of the initial period of ownership. The ECR355E also is eligible for ActiveCare Direct, a telematics service that provides 24/7/365 active machine monitoring and fleet-utilization reporting directly from Volvo. ActiveCare Direct is offered at no charge for one year with select new machine purchases, including the ECR355E.
Volvo ECR355E Specifications
- Operating weight: 75,200-83,800 pounds
- Rated power (gross): 241 horsepower @ 1,800 rpm
- Bucket capacity: 0.72-2,69 cubic yards
- Digging depth, max.: 22.33 feet
- Tail-swing radius: 6.25 feet