According to Komatsu America, the PC390LCi-11 hydraulic excavator, using a 257-horsepower, Tier 4-F Komatsu engine, is “the first 3D, semi-automatic excavator available with the nimbleness and speed of 36-ton-weight-class machine and stability of a much larger machine.” The new model features standard machine-control-enhanced joysticks. The PC390LCi-11 Intelligent Machine Control incorporates a proprietary sensor package, including stroke-sensing hydraulic cylinders, IMU sensor, and GNSS antennas.
Operating weight is 87,867-90,441 pounds with maximum digging depths ranging from 23 feet 10 inches to 26 feet 7 inches.
The machine utilizes 3D design data loaded into the machine’s monitor to accurately display machine position relative to target grade. When the bucket reaches the target surface, the system automatically limits over excavation. The PC390LCi-11’s joystick controllers feature semi-auto/manual mode-switching and a design-surface offset function that can be operated with switches on the levers. An Auto Grade Assist system allows the boom to adjust bucket height automatically, tracing the target surface and minimizing digging too deep.
The new model also incorporates other operator-assist features:
- Auto Stop Control—during boom and bucket operation, the work equipment automatically stops when the bucket edge reaches the design surface, thus minimizing design-surface damage.
- Minimum Distance Control—as the operator moves the arm, the machine controls the bucket by automatically selecting the point on the bucket closest to the target surface, and if the machine is not facing a sloped surface at a right angle, it will still follow the target surface and minimize digging below it
- Facing-Angle Compass—the orientation of the arrow in the facing angle compass shows the operator the facing angle, relative to target surface, allowing the bucket edge to be accurately positioned square with the target surface
- Realistic 3D Display—the machine and design surfaces are shown in realistic 3D, with the ability to change the angle and magnification of the views, allowing the operator to select the view best suited to work conditions.
- Control Box—the Intelligent Machine Control monitor uses a large touch screen that features icon interface, instead of a multi-step menu
The PC390LCi-11 excavator, whether rented, leased, or purchased, is covered by the Komatsu CARE complimentary maintenance program for the first three years or 2,000 hours, whichever comes first. Komatsu CARE includes scheduled factory maintenance, 50-point inspection at each service, up to two complimentary Komatsu DPF exchanges, and up to two DEF tank flushes in the first five years.