The Caterpillar 140 GC motor grader, equipped with the 196-horsepower Cat C7.1 Tier 4 engine and all-wheel drive, has an operating weight of 19,105 pounds and uses a 12-foot moldboard. The 6F/3R automatic power-shift transmission (which eliminates the inching pedal), coupled with a redesigned hydraulic system, ensures balanced performance in all operating situations, says Caterpillar. An ECO operating mode and an on-demand fan reduce fuel consumption, and extended maintenance intervals are aimed at reducing operating costs.
The 140 GC motor grader has a conventional steering wheel and lever controls, and the control console adjusts to the operator’s preference. The cab’s heating/cooling-system option dehumidifies and pressurizes the cab, while circulating fresh air to seal out dust and keep windows clear. Seat upgrades include mechanical or air- suspension.
The machine's standard no-spin differential activates with no operator input to increase traction in poor ground conditions and the all-wheel-drive option provides added performance in rough terrain or poor underfoot conditions. Optimized machine balance, says the manufacturer, ensures maximum drawbar power to the ground. Adding the available 14-foot moldboard widens road coverage, and the optional Digital Blade Slope Meter provides automatic slope control and reduces the need for manual grade checks. The optional Cat Detect with Vision System uses a rearview camera to show a wide view behind the machine.
Features for the 140 GC, says Caterpillar, are designed to enhance performance, expand versatility, and reduce maintenance costs:
- Cat attachments, including scarifiers, rippers, and front blades increase machine versatility
- Standard drawbar circle moldboard uses replaceable wear strips to maintain blade stability
- Reversing fan option clears debris from intake screens and coolers
- Oil-bath, multi-disc service brakes are hydraulically-actuated
- Circle-drive slip-clutch option protects the pinion drive and circle teeth from potential damage.
- Optional low-profile cab reduces overall height to accommodate transport and job-site obstacles
- Circle Saver option reduces daily greasing requirements and protects the circle and pinion
- Optional guarding protects the 140 GC from damage
- Optional secondary-steering system automatically activates if main pump pressure drops