Combining Bergkamp’s SPECS (Smart Patching Equipment Control System)—which controls material outputs according to a configurable mix design—with material mix control technology, units are equipped with a joystick and touchscreen display that provide full operator control. The SP5E is truck-mounted and is operated from inside the cab by just one operator.
The SP5E also comes equipped with Bergkamp’s InPave Technology Pothole Patching Management System, which provides agency administrators with a method to manage pothole patching data and costs. Because patching operations are PTO-driven, Bergkamp also eliminated the traditional auxiliary engine.
Three emulsion nozzles in the spray head provide an even coating of aggregate with the asphalt emulsion. The spray head also oscillates to deliver even distribution of patch material.
As an option, a dual-chamber aggregate hopper (user-configurable for 60/40 or 50/50 split) allows the distribution of two different gradations of aggregate. With either single- or dual-chamber, the aggregate hopper total volumetric capacity is 5 yards 3 struck. A 55-degree hopper wall angle allows material to flow to the augers, eliminating the need for a vibration system.
Bergkamp SP5E Safety Features
The SP5E includes a number of unique safety features:
- One-person operation from inside the truck protects crew members.
- Asphalt repairs are handled from the front of the machine; traffic stays safely behind the patcher.
- SPECS monitors the front boom position, to help keep it in the safe operating zone.
- An automatic latching system allows the operator to secure the boom for safe travel without leaving the cab.
- Lights, arrow boards, and camera options (basic or 360-degrees) provide additional safety measures.
Bergkamp’s B-FIT (Follow up, Inspection, and Training) program provides a free onsite visit by a Bergkamp technician within the first year. During this visit, the technician will inspect the equipment and handle additional crew training.
Bergkamp also offers a rental option for its line of pothole patchers, including the SP5E, allowing agencies to avoid the time and capital budgeting required in purchasing a machine. Units are available to rent by the week, month, or on a rent-to-own basis.