The 50/48X drum chipper features a sloped in-feed, reverse-pivot top-feed wheel, bottom feed wheel, externally adjustable anvil, and the Morbark Advantage three-drum assembly that can be configured with 10 knives for fuel chip or 20 knives for micro-chip applications. The 50/48X design includes these features:
- Hydraulic hinged door and hood-locking system for access to the drum during knife changes
- Large work platforms on both sides for drum inspection
- Consolidated area for oil and hydraulic filters, accessible from the ground or maintenance platform
- Independent drum-drive-tensioning system
- Large area between engine and chipper base for access during general engine inspection and belly-band removal
The 50/48 uses a 40-inch top-feed wheel and the “enhanced” hydraulic system includes a direct-drive Poclain motor for the top and bottom feed wheels that eliminates chain-and-sprocket drives and provides added torque. The 50/48X can be equipped with a Caterpillar C27 engine (1,050 horsepower) or Caterpillar C32 (1200 horsepower); both engines are Tier 4-F. The PT Tech HPTO15 hydraulic clutch standard, allowing flexibility across a wide range of chip sizes, says Morbark.