Bergstrom's SMART car dealership at 11340 West Metro Blvd., Milwaukee, WI, recently received LEED silver certification.
The Boldt Company, Appleton, WI, was the general contractor for the project, which was completed last winter.
Boldt believes the facility may be the only automobile dealership in the area with a LEED ranking.
Some of its sustainable elements:
- It will purchase green power for 50 percent of its energy, encouraging the development and use of grid-source, renewable energy technologies on a net zero-pollution basis.
- A total of 99.4 percent of construction waste was diverted from landfills.
- Daylight illuminates interior spaces to reduce energy, and the lights in the display tower and showroom have daylight sensors to reduce energy use.
- All low-emitting materials, including GREENGUARD certified furniture, were used on the interior to reduce the quantity of indoor air pollutants.
- More than 50 percent of the site was planted with native and adaptive plants.
- Employee parking stalls are reserved for low-emitting and fuel-efficient vehicles, and two stalls are reserved for carpool vehicles.
The firm opted for LEED certification because it is consistent with the SMART car brand.