Nearly 7,000 steel-reinforced concrete deck panels are being installed on the $4 billion Tappan Zee Bridge project, reports The Journal News.
The precast panels will average 12 feet in length, be up to 45 feet wide and weigh as much as 74,000 pounds.
The final step for the roadway will be a one-inch polyester concrete overlay to provide motorists a smooth drive, according to The Journal News.
— Khurram Saeed (@ksaeed1) October 27, 2015
By the numbers
- Approach Span Panel Length: 12 feet
- Approach Span Panel Width: 22-45 feet
- Largest panel weight: 74,000 pounds
- Number of Approach Span Panels: 5,960
- Number of Main Span Panels: 973
- Total Number of Concrete Deck Panels: 6,933