The Michigan Occupational Safety and Health Administration (MIOSHA) and the Michigan Workers’ Compensation Agency have partnered to launch the “Don’t Roll the Dice with Snow and Ice” campaign offering tips for employers and employees working in winter weather conditions.
“Every employer should have an effective safety and health management system in place to protect its most valuable asset: its employees,” said MIOSHA Director Martha Yoder. “As part of this program, they should prepare for winter conditions and provide helpful information to their employees on how to avoid injury and illness.”
The campaign's tips include:
- Keep all walkways cleared of ice and snow.
- Have de-icing products handy for hard-to-remove ice or snow.
- Make sure all walkways and passageways are clearly marked and well-lit.
- Be careful of slippery surfaces inside buildings.
- Wear slip-resistant footwear.
- Practice safe walking on slippery surfaces by taking slow, small steps.
- Avoid carrying heavy loads that may offset your balance.
- Clearly mark or barricade hazardous areas.
- Wear sunglasses on sunny days to lessen winter glare.
- Take extra precaution when entering and exiting vehicles.
- Know the symptoms of frostbite and the first aid steps to address it.
For more information on the campaign, visit www.michigan.gov/winterworker