The Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT) recently announced the approval of the 2008–2012 Five Year Transportation Program, which will provide millions of dollars for infrastructure improvements in the Metro Region. The Metro Region serves four counties — Macomb, Oakland, St. Clair, and Wayne — which carry more than 40 percent of the traffic in Michigan.
The original 2008 program for road and bridge improvements in the Metro Region will provide $148 million in repairs to 125 miles of pavement and $70 million to rehabilitate 65 bridges. The 2008 program includes an additional $88 million for seven projects advanced from future years as part of Governor Jennifer M. Granholm's economic stimulus package. Statewide, MDOT is accelerating nearly $150 million in road and bridge projects that will create an estimated 2,100 jobs. About 1,200 of those jobs will be created in the Metropolitan Detroit area.
Over the five-year period, more than $1 billion will be invested in the Metro Region, including $611 million for road preservation and $306 million for bridge repairs.
"A reliable infrastructure is a pivotal component to enhancing the quality of life for our residents and providing a stable economic base for growth and job retention," said Metro Region Engineer Greg Johnson. "Our substantial investments will provide reliable mobility and promote safety for Michigan's most populated region." During 2008, the following improvements are scheduled:
- Reconstruction and realignment of the Interstate 75-Interstate 96 connection to the Ambassador Bridge in the city of Detroit.
- Reconstruction of Interstate 75 between South Huron River Drive (Exit 26) in the city of South Rockwood, and Gibraltar Road (Exit 29) in the city of Flat Rock.
- Reconstruction of Interstate 94 between Gratiot Avenue (Exit 266) and Allington Road in St. Clair County.
- Replacement of the Interstate 96-Wixom Road interchange (Exit 159) in the city of Wixom.
- Reconstruction of M-29 (23 Mile Road) between the Interstate 94 interchange and Baker Road in Chesterfield Township.
- Bridge rehabilitation on Interstate 75 between Interstate 375 and M-8 (Davison Freeway) in the city of Detroit.
- Bridge rehabilitation on Interstate 75 between M-102 (Eight Mile Road) and the Interstate 696 interchange in the cities of Hazel Park and Madison Heights.