Martin Klepper has been named the first executive director of the recently created Build America Bureau.
The Bureau is a newly created entity within the USDOT and is responsible for streamlining access to federal credit and grant opportunities while providing technical assistance to project planning, financing, delivery, and monitoring. The Bureau will also help state and local governments develop and finance public-private partnership transactions (P3’s) for transportation facilities.
The Build America Bureau combines these DOT programs:
- The Transportation Infrastructure Finance and Innovation Act (TIFIA)
- The Railroad Rehabilitation & Improvement Financing (RRIF)
- The private activity bond (PAB) program
- The Outreach and Project Development functions of the Build America Transportation Investment Center (BATIC)
- The Fostering Advancements in Shipping and Transportation for the Long-term Achievement of National Efficiencies (FASTLANE) grant program.
Mr Klepper is a senior partner in the Energy and Infrastructure Project Group at Skadden, Arps, Slate, Meagher & Flom, LLP, and has worked with both federal and state governments on energy and infrastructure financing matters. Klepper has also worked with banks, underwriters, equity investors, multilateral lenders, and export credit agencies in various capacities.
"We are pleased to have someone with Martin’s significant experience and expertise at the helm of the Bureau,” said U.S. Transportation Secretary Anthony Foxx. “Under his leadership, the Bureau will be a driving force in financing transportation projects across the country.”