Equipment Type

Diesel Emissions Reduction Act of 2016 on Way to 2021

Senate EPW committee passes emission grants extension

May 27, 2016

The U.S. Senate Environment and Public Works (EPW) Committee has moved to reauthorize the Diesel Emissions Reduction Act of 2016 (DERA) through 2021.

DERA is a voluntary program that provides federal and state grants to incentivize equipment and vehicle owners to install retrofit technologies on existing heavy-duty diesel vehicles and engines, or replace engines and equipment. The five-year reauthorization measure of $100 million a year provides money for technologies such as emissions and idle control devices, aerodynamic equipment, engine and vehicle replacements, and alternative fuel option .

As stipulated in the Act, 70 percent of DERA funds are to be used for national competitive grants, with the remaining 30 percent allocated to the states.

According to EPA’s most recent estimate, DERA grants have helped upgraded nearly 73,000 vehicles or pieces of equipment and saved over 450 million gallons of fuel.

The current ACT ends 2017.

More like this

Comments on: "Diesel Emissions Reduction Act of 2016 on Way to 2021"

Subscribe Today

Enter your email address here to be automatically subscribed to our daily newsletter!

Overlay Init