The American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO) joined the National Strategy on Highway Safety Toward Zero Deaths (TZD) effort, which focuses on eliminating fatalities on U.S. roadways.
The Toward Zero Deaths effort was created by a steering committee cooperative that includes numerous organizations committed to reducing annual U.S. traffic fatalities from more than 33,000 to zero. The TZD Plan provides organizations in the fields of engineering, law enforcement, education and emergency medical services (EMS) with initiatives and safety countermeasures designed to save lives.
The National Strategy includes initiatives that are known to be—or are expected to be—effective in addressing specific factors contributing to roadway crashes, have the potential to make a significant reduction in fatalities and serious injuries nationally, or address areas of growing concern.
The TZD plan includes initiatives spanning from engineering to education with the intended result of achieving:
- Safer drivers, passengers and pedestrians
- Safer infrastructure
- Safer vehicles
- Enhanced emergency medical services and response
- Improved management of traffic safety programs
AASHTO and State Departments of Transportation across the country are working to accomplish the TZD goal by:
- Leading research and other activities to promote a culture of traffic safety in America.
- Identifying new safety partners and promoting a collaborative, multidisciplinary, data-driven approach to safety related policies and programs.
For more than five years, organizations representing transportation, safety, law enforcement, engineering, and state and local government agencies--with the technical support of the Federal Highway Administration, the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration—have been working together to identify and prioritize the leading initiatives that will reduce traffic fatalities over the next 25 years.
These organizations are involved with the TZD effort:
- American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators (AAMVA)
- American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO)
- Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA)
- Governors Highway Safety Association (GHSA)
- International Association of Chiefs of Police (IACP)
- National Association of County Engineers (NACE)
- National Local Technical Assistance Program Association (NLTAPA)
- National Association of State Emergency Medical Services Officials (NASEMSO)