Spokane— The Inland Northwest Associated General Contractors presented its 2008 Build Northwest Awards for project excellence on Jan. 30 during its annual convention at the Davenport Hotel. These awards recognize excellence in construction throughout the Inland Northwest.
"The AGC Build Northwest Awards recognize the region's premier projects, large and small," said AGC Executive Director Wayne Brokaw. "Today's winners embody the industry at its best, and we are proud to recognize their accomplishments."
Projects are judged by an independent panel on the following criteria: meeting the challenge of a difficult job; excellence in project management; contractor's innovation in construction techniques or materials; contractor's state-of-the-art advancement; contractor's sensitivity to the environment and surroundings; excellence in client service; and contractor's contribution to the community.
The 2008 award winners are as follows:
- Building Project, over $5 million: Lydig Construction for Mountainside Middle School; owner, Mead School District No.354; architect/engineer, NAC|Architecture; contract amount, $27,100,000; major subcontractors & suppliers, ACI Northwest Inc., Three V Plumbing Co., Agee Electric, Cameron-Reilly LLC, Anderson Masonry, Hidden River Sprinklers, American Ironworks & Erectors, Westmark Products, Icon Corp., Marlin Windows, LAC Drywall, Modern Drywall, Fire Control Sprinkler Systems.
- Building Project, under $5 million: Graham Construction & Management for Heyburn State Park Welcome Center; owner, Idaho Department of Public Works; architect/engineer, H2A Architects; contract amount, $1,400,000.
- Heavy/Highway, over $5 million: Garco Construction for Egg-Shaped Digester; owner, City of Spokane; architect/engineer, CH2MHill; contract amount, $40,438,000; major subcontractors & suppliers, Eller Corp., McClintock & Turk, Power City Electric, Cobra & CBI Services.
- Heavy/Highway division, under $5 million: Westway Construction for Deep Creek Bridge; owner, Washington State Department of Transportation; architect/engineer, WSDOT; contract amount, $522,845; major subcontractors & suppliers, Shamrock Paving Co., Frank Gurney, Inc., Aztech Electric, Sharp-Line, Inc.
- Sub-Contractor Project: Clearwater Construction & Management Inc. for US 395 — BNSF RR Tunnel; owner, Washington State Department of Transportation; architect/engineer, Contech Bridge Solutions Inc.; contract amount, $3,979,000; general contractor, Scarsella Bros. Construction.
- Special Project: Burton Construction Inc. for Sherman Pass Byway; owner, USDA Forest Service — Colville National Forest; architect/engineer, Green Works; contract amount, $474,100; major subcontractors & suppliers: Alpine Construction.